[Mpi3-ft] system-level C/R requirements

Mike Heffner mike.heffner at librato.com
Mon Oct 27 08:59:33 CDT 2008

I was referring to the MPI stack supporting the PREPARE and RESTORE
calls. Ideally we would like to take existing MPI applications and
support C/R support without any modifications to their source.
Similarly, if we can separate the requirements of C/R restart from the
application design this allows the developer to focus purely on the
problem their application is trying to solve and not on C/R requirements.

However, if you intend to support C/R in a way that is completely
separate from the MPI use of the application then you will have
scenarios that a checkpoint is initiated while the application is
blocking on an MPI_Recv(), MPI_Barrier(), or any other blocking
operation. Therefore, for the most value the PREPARE and RESTORE
operations should be able to be invoked asynchronously during the
application's MPI communication.

Mike