[Mpi3-ft] system-level C/R requirements

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at intel.com
Fri Oct 24 16:27:55 CDT 2008

Thanks. Can (or should) one define semantics better than those of the
MPI_INIT and MPI_FINALIZE? MPI job starts after MPI_Init. The job ends
after MPI_Finalize. What happens before and after is almost undefined.
This is about all the standard specifies, and it's rather clear why: it
cannot prescribe the way in which processes are started, because it's
very system specific. CR is possibly even more system specific.

Let's get back to the proposal:

MPI_PREPARE_FOR_CHECKPOINT(MPI_COMM) 	~ MPI_FINALIZE
MPI_RESTORE_AFTER_CHECKPOINT(MPI_COMM)	~ MPI_INIT

Use MPI_COMM_WORLD for global CR. Use MPI_COMM_SELF for local CR.

Call the first function immediately before the checkpoint, do the
checkpoint the way you like, and call the second immediately after to
re-enter the MPI session where you left it.

What else can be added to make this more clear and more precise than
MPI_INIT and MPI_FINALIZE definitions?