[Mpi3-ft] Summary of today's meeting

Greg Bronevetsky bronevetsky1 at llnl.gov
Fri Oct 24 12:46:14 CDT 2008

>When I look at the restore requirements on MPI as described below,
>they seem quit extensive. Including re-pining and opening any
>previous opened communication handles.

I agree. Furthermore, its not just the length of the list but also
the fact that it is very sensitive to platform-specific details. If
we have any hope of providing this API, we'll need a good survey of
what would be required on the full range of possible target
platforms, ranging from BGL CNK/Catamount, to Windows/Unix to
Symbian, even if there currently are no MPI implementations on a
given possible platform. With the regular MPI spec we don't need to
do anything so thorough because MPI is high-level enough that it is
reasonable to assume that an implementation of some sort can be
written for any platform. However, here we're talking about such
low-level details that getting them wrong in the spec would mean that
implementations on some platforms would actually be impossible. We
could put in an explicit list of OSs that the quiescence API applies
to but I don't think that'd fly with the forum.

Greg Bronevetsky
Post-Doctoral Researcher
1028 Building 451
Lawrence Livermore National Lab