[Mpi3-ft] Summary of today's meeting

Greg Bronevetsky bronevetsky1 at llnl.gov
Thu Oct 23 10:23:25 CDT 2008

>Can someone think of a reason to have the library do this over the
>app ?  I can see that letting the library do this will avoid
>potential race conditions that could arise if we let the app do this
>- basically out of band with respect to the expected communications traffic.
The application can implement this functionality by having somebody
write the appropriate notification protocol as a PMPI layer and just
plugging it in between the application and MPI. If we have
piggybacking, this layer will also be fairly efficient. The only
issue may be that piggybacking over collectives is hard to define,
putting a limit on how efficient such application-level protocols
will be. However, the fact is that different people will want MPI to
provide many more services and protocols than MPI vendors can
actually implement. As such, we're much better off putting together a
robust and efficient piggybacking API than asking for more services
to be implemented on top of the library.

Greg Bronevetsky
Post-Doctoral Researcher
1028 Building 451
Lawrence Livermore National Lab