[Mpi3-ft] Quiescence Interface

Greg Bronevetsky bronevetsky1 at llnl.gov
Mon Mar 10 21:15:57 CDT 2008

I just read over the proposal and I still don't see a detailed
definition of quiescence. I know what it means when we're talking
about checkpointing at the kernel-level(BLCR) or user-level(libckpt)
or the application level(C3) and I can figure out what it means when
the checkpointer works at the virtual machine monitor level, though
that also depends on how well the VMM checkpointer supports the
machine's network card. However, what does the spec mean? The draft
spec doesn't provide any details and my concern is that the spec can
never provide enough details without going into deep details of the
network hardware and software stack.

Greg Bronevetsky
Post-Doctoral Researcher
1028 Building 451