[mpi3-ft] FW: Starting slides for 2/1/2008 telecon

Greg Bronevetsky bronevetsky1 at llnl.gov
Wed Jan 30 02:17:11 CST 2008

Two comments:

We may want to add the capability to spawn new processes and give
them the ranks of the failed processes. This is more efficient than
pre-allocating enough spare processes as part of the original job
allocation, so it might be a good idea to include in the spec.

I disagree with the comments about MPI quieting the communication
system because this presumes that the application will use the
trivial sync-and-stop CPR protocol. They may the case but we
shouldn't write this assumption into the spec. We should probably
restrict ourselves to only saying that no message may get partially
delivered since such messages would be very hard to deal with above
the MPI library.

Greg Bronevetsky
Post-Doctoral Researcher
1028 Building 451