[Mpi3-ft] Transactional Messages

Richard Graham rlgraham at ornl.gov
Fri Feb 22 21:51:03 CST 2008

Actually, it is most likely that MPI implementations that don¹t try to deal
with
 dropped messages, can¹t even detect that such event have occurred.  For
 such implementation I would expect them to be able to detect a problem with
 failed communications only if the low-level library they use to implement
 the communications, such as some OS bypass library, returns an error when
 trying to post some sort of communications, or if the run-time used by MPI
 detects a fail process, and propagates this information to the rest of the
 processes in the application.

The ONLY layer that can handle any sort of recovery from a live
communications failure -
 i.e. w/o some sort of check-point restart with or with out message logging
­ is the
 MPI implementation itself.  The application reposting a send can¹t take get
around the
 lost data, because of the MPI message ordering requirements, unless the
implementation
 totally relies on another library to satisfy the MPI ordering requirements
(i.e. it does not
 generate some sort of message sequence number) and the message lost is the
last one
 that was sent.  MPI is not allowed to attempt any matching if there is a
gap in the
 sequence number.

Rich