[Mpi3-ft] A need to detect any failure

Greg Bronevetsky bronevetsky1 at llnl.gov
Fri Aug 1 16:14:08 CDT 2008

What we're focusing on right now is the most basic notification
mechanism that needs to be supported by MPI. This is the notification
mechanism that will be used with legacy applications that use error
codes to be informed of errors and need sensible default behavior
from MPI. Although your use-case makes sense, the extra cost that it
would incur means that applications that need this capability are
best off using a more complex/customizable API, such as the
publish-subscribe API we've been tossing around. Also, the idea of
passing error notifications on top of existing messages is good
motivation for the piggybacking API. In any case, I think that this
is a use-case for the extended notification API, not the default
notification mechanism.

Greg Bronevetsky
Post-Doctoral Researcher
1028 Building 451