[MPIWG Fortran] "ELEMENTAL" keyword on mpi_f08 comparison operator functions

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Mar 1 09:24:19 CST 2022

An Open MPI user this morning requested that we add the "ELEMENTAL" keyword to the mpi_f08 module eq / neq operator functions: https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/issues/10057

The only statement I can find in MPI-4.0 about the eq / neq operators is section 19.1.2, "Fortran Support Through the mpi_f08 Module", only says the following about the operator functions (p793, 22:23):

> Overload the operators .EQ. and .NE. to allow the comparison of these MPI handles with .EQ., .NE., == and /=.

This doesn't seem to allow or disallow the use of ELEMENTAL.

What are the pros / cons of adding ELEMENTAL to the eq / neq operator functions?

jsquyres at cisco.com