[MPIWG Fortran] remove HPF

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Thu Mar 3 11:07:35 CST 2016

On Mar 1, 2016, at 2:28 PM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Bill Long <longb at cray.com> wrote:
>
> On Mar 1, 2016, at 2:03 PM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-issues/issues/43
> >
> > any objections?
>
> Not from me. It seems like an excellent idea.
>

> The only question is if MPI_Type_create_darray makes sense to be used with Fortran coarrays for MPI file I/O, but this is not something I can reason about, because I do not understand MPI I/O.  Also, it is not clear to me that MPI_Type_create_darray is really what people want to use, given we have MPI_Type_subarray.

I’m even less of an expert about MPI I/O.  However, it would seem very unlikely that a coarray would be treated any different from an ordinary array. A coarray is just an ordinary array with the extra feature of being accessible from a different image.  On the local image, it is just a ordinary array.   Since I really doubt that MPI I/O is using coarray features inside, it seems unlikely that coarrays would be special in any way for MPI I/O.   For defining coarray elements by reading a file, I would not use MPI I/O at all.  Just have each image read in its part of the file - time tested solution.  For writing, the array is memory is not modified, so even if MPI I/O is used, I would not see an issue of the output item were a coarray.