[MPIWG Fortran] Provide Fortran datatypes if Fortran bindings not provided?

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Thu Feb 18 14:55:21 CST 2016

I would prefer a solution where an application or middlware can check at
runtime whether the Fortran MPI datatypes exist, i.e., I like mpich's
solution. It is more simple than all methods that People must check prior
to compile and must remove or Change parts of there software.

In the moment,in the case of a missing accompanying Fortran Compiler,
an application or middleware that wants to handle
MPI Fortran datatypes must handle both cases
(1) mpi.h does not provide a specific MPI Fortran datatype
(2) mpi.h provides this MPI Fortran datatype as MPI_DATATYPE_NULL

The additional case, that it is mapped to a real datatype is not
an exception, because it defines some sort of accompanying Fortran Compiler.

I would prefer that the MPI standard defines, which of the two
options should be implemented.

As said at the beginning, I would prefer (1),
 - as mpich is doing it in general, and
 - OMPI is doing it partially,
whereas (2) was not done by mpich nor by OMPI.

The MPI Forum may do a straw vote on that.

Best regards
Rolf