[MPIWG Fortran] Provide Fortran datatypes if Fortran bindings not provided?

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu Feb 18 12:08:53 CST 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com>
Reply: MPI-WG Fortran working group <mpiwg-fortran at lists.mpi-forum.org>
Date: February 18, 2016 at 12:57:38 PM
To: MPI-WG Fortran working group <mpiwg-fortran at lists.mpi-forum.org>
Subject:  Re: [MPIWG Fortran] Provide Fortran datatypes if Fortran bindings	not provided?

> From MPI 3.1, page 674:
>
> "If an accompanying C++ compiler is missing, then the MPI datatypes in this
> table are not defined."
>
> Please tell me why we want to do something different for Fortran.

This is a very good point.

> While we do not currently say "If an accompanying Fortran compiler is
> missing, then the MPI datatypes in this table are not defined," as a
> footnote to the appropriate table, that is not a good reason to define
> something brittle. Let's just add the footnote and call it good.

+1 to the general sentiment.

(a quick look through appendix A shows that we might need this footnote on a few tables)

There's also a supporting sentence in MPI-3.1 3.2.2 p26:46-47 "If there is an accompanying C++ compiler then the datatypes in Table 3.4 are also supported in C and Fortran."  We might need similar language elsewhere for the Fortran datatypes.

Comments?

jsquyres at cisco.com