[MPIWG Fortran] ticket 351

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Mon Nov 9 15:21:23 CST 2015

On Nov 9, 2015, at 3:03 PM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:

> What does processor-specific mean?  It is specific to the manufacturer, the ISA, the SKU number, the serial number, ...?  I can't even fathom what sort of terrible thinking lead someone to write such a phrase in a language standard.
>
> Why not do what everyone else does and say "implementation-specific"?  I don't even think the behavior is remotely sensitive to the processor.  The support for EXECUTE_COMMAND_LINE is primarily a function of the OS, which is not a very different thing than a processor.

Processor and processor dependent are both defined terms in the Fortran standard:

	• processor

	combination of a computing system and mechanism by which programs are transformed for use on that computing

       system

	• processor dependent

	not completely specified in this part of ISO/IEC 1539, having methods and semantics determined by the processor

So, “processor” includes the compiler, hardware, and OS.

Bill Long                                                                       longb at cray.com
Fortran Technical Support  &                                  voice:  651-605-9024
Bioinformatics Software Development                     fax:  651-605-9142
Cray Inc./ Cray Plaza, Suite 210/ 380 Jackson St./ St. Paul, MN 55101