[MPIWG Fortran] F08 and pair types?

Hubert Ritzdorf Hubert.Ritzdorf at EMEA.NEC.COM
Fri Dec 18 13:34:36 CST 2015

Jeff Squyres wrote:

>Hmm.  Ok, that's the opposite advice we got for MPI-3.0 (which was now admittedly several years ago).
>
>Soo... which way should it go these days?
>
>- use native Fortran datatypes
>- use C datatypes (via BIND(C))

I think that MPI Fortran Interface should support native Fortran datatypes in pair types !

(*) We (NEC) don't know any relevant Fortran application which doesn't use native Fortran datatypes.
    If you switch for C Datatypes in MINLOC/MAXLOC, all application programmers must solve
    the portability problems (possibly loosing accuracy in reduce operations).

(*) Nearly all Fortran compilers support compile time options such as "-r8" or "-size real64"
    which would cause problems with the C datatypes.
    And this options are used by application programmers !

(*) C datatypes would be inconsistent with functions such as MPI_Type_create_f90_real.

(*) Supporting Fortran subarrays without supporting native Fortran datatypes doesn't make sense for me.

Hubert