[MPIWG Fortran] [mpiwg-tools] Proposal: MPI_SIZEOF not profiled

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Mon May 19 11:00:54 CDT 2014

On May 19, 2014, at 10:45 AM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres at cisco.com> wrote:

> On May 19, 2014, at 11:34 AM, Bill Long <longb at cray.com> wrote:
>
>> I was curious why the PMPI versions had been exempted in the text quoted in the ticket.  It seems to contradict the text quoted above.  I’m inclined to require that the C library PMPI versions be supplied even if the MPI versions are implemented as non-interceptable.  The PMPI version could be as simple as a wrapper around a macro.  But it ensures that the C library PMPI version exists for cross-language calling (where macros don’t work).
>
> p555 says that the PMPI_ versions must be supplied.  But it does not say anything about forcing them to be in a library (e.g., being able to call the C version from Fortran).  That would be a new requirement.

Ah, OK. I then assume “supplied” can be satisfied by providing a macro for PMPI_Wtick, for example.   In that case, the Fortran side can supply a non-MPI-named C wrapper that uses that macro.  It seems reasonable to expect that the Fortran and C versions of routines like MPI_WTICK return the same values, which would be ensured if the Fortran version always calls the C equivalent.  It’s useful to realize that some level of trickery might be needed to make that happen.