[MPIWG Fortran] Proposal: MPI_SIZEOF not profiled

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Fri May 16 14:47:43 CDT 2014

Rolf added a comment to the ticket about the term “inline”.   If it would be helpful, here is a response that hopefully would calm fears in others of this word.

"Use of "inline" should be fine here. As Rolf points out, this is not a
defined term in Fortran. Therefore, the meaning is just the ordinary
one: The compilation process "inlines" a Call to routine X by
replacing the setup and branch to the external X with equivalent code
generated IN the current LINE of execution on the would-be caller. If
the computation in X can be performed at compile time, the replacement
code could be very simple. It is also possible that the replacement
code is a call to a different routine that has the same effect as a
call to X.  How the compiler accomplishes inlining is outside the
scope of both Fortran and MPI. It is sufficient to know that existing
compilation systems are capable of this process, and that it can lead
to better execution performance. The important fact for the discussion
in this ticket is that the process removes the call to X, thus it is
not possible to intercept a call to X at this point in the code.”