[MPIWG Fortran] Proposal: MPI_SIZEOF not profiled

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri May 16 13:59:03 CDT 2014

On May 16, 2014, at 12:17 PM, Bill Long <longb at cray.com> wrote:

>> The term "not interceptable" conveys the important restriction.  How
>
> I agree this is the important concept.  Somehow the compiler, through optimization, macros, automatic inlining,…, creates an object file that does not contain the

That may all be true, but I think it is a different thing, and is not what I am proposing.

To be clear: WTICK/WTIME were explicitly allowed to be macros *in C* ever since MPI-2.0.  I am not changing that in my proposal (now ticket #428).  #428 only fixes MPI_SIZEOF and the status-conversion functions.

Someone else is free to propose the ability of WTICK/WTIME to be inlined in Fortran, but that requires a little more spelunking in history to know why that was done in MPI-2... which I do not have time for at the moment.

jsquyres at cisco.com