[MPIWG Fortran] Proposal: MPI_SIZEOF not profiled

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Fri May 16 10:14:42 CDT 2014

We need a correct expression telling that it is allowed to be
not interceptable.

MPI-3.0 wording: "as macro in C."
  [does not tell anything about Fortran]

Existing (probably incorrect) proposal:
                  "as macro in C or inlined in Fortran."

Maybe better proposal:

An implementation is allowed to implement MPI_WTIME, MPI_WTICK,
PMPI_WTIME, PMPI_WTICK, the handle- and status-conversion
functions (MPI_Group_f2c, etc.) in Sections 17.2.4 and 17.2.5,
***and MPI_SIZEOF***
and no others,
***such that they may not be interceptable (e.g., as macros in C,
inlined, or contained in a Fortran module)***.

Advice to implementors. Implementors should document which routines
are implemented ***such that they are not interceptable***. (End of
advice to implementors.)

Advice to users. If these routines are implemented
***such that they are not interceptable***,
they will not work with the MPI profiling
interface. (End of advice to users.)

And
> > 1. provide a mechanism through which all of the MPI defined
> > functions, except those allowed as ***non-interceptable***
> > (See Section 2.6.4), may
> > be accessed with a name shift.  This requires, in C and Fortran, an
> > alternate entry point name, with the prefix PMPI_ for each MPI
> > function in each provided language binding and language support
> > method.  For routines implemented as ***non-interceptable***,
> > it is still required
> > that the PMPI_ version be supplied and work as expected, but it is
> > not possible to replace at link time the MPI_ version with a
> > user-defined version.

Best regards
Rolf