[MPIWG Fortran] MPI_SIZEOF: Errata required (was: Another MPI_SIZEOF question)

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Fri Jun 13 23:36:35 CDT 2014

Not quite true.  See my email, which gives specific locations in the standard for the relevant text.  Note also that MPI_SIZEOF is *not* the only function that is not included in the "basic" Fortran support - the routines to create a type based on precision and range are also not required for basic support.

I think there are two options for the so-called Fortran 77 support.  Continue to support the "basic" support, as defined in MPI-2, or delete it entirely.  Anything else is likely to leave errors and mistakes.  And while I agree with Jeff that its not good practice to remove something like F77 support at a point release, I believe that the language in the standard removed Fortran 77 with 3.0.  We're just now recognizing that.

Bill

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Thomas M. Siebel Chair in Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign