[MPIWG Fortran] Another MPI_SIZEOF question

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu Jun 12 14:22:16 CDT 2014

On Jun 10, 2014, at 4:55 PM, William Gropp <wgropp at illinois.edu> wrote:

> On SIZEOF, the language in the standard for the argument is
>
> a Fortran variable of numeric intrinsic type (choice)
>
> [snip]
> Thus, I believe that MPI_SIZEOF has the same choice parameter requirements of the communication routines such as MPI_SEND.

Quick question on this: (I don't think any of us disagree -- this language includes both scalars and arrays) Does this include logicals and characters?  The language says *numeric* intrinsic type.

Technically, a character and a logical have numerical values, but that's not how they're generally used.

Bill: do you remember the intent of the word "numeric" here?

jsquyres at cisco.com