[MPIWG Fortran] Another MPI_SIZEOF question

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Jun 6 09:11:14 CDT 2014

It strikes me that the current MPI_SIZEOF text does not limit this function to the mpi or mpi_f08 modules, meaning that it needs to be supported/available in mpif.h as well.

Since SIZEOF can only be implemented via overloaded procedures, this means that implementations have to put an INTERFACE block with the overloaded procedures for MPI_SIZEOF in mpif.h.  Yowza!  This goes against a long-standing tradition of not including procedure prototypes in mpif.h.

If I'm interpreting this properly, it looks like neither Open MPI nor MPICH do this correctly.

Am I correct in this deduction?

Random side note: this makes me wonder how much MPI_SIZEOF is really used...

jsquyres at cisco.com