[MPIWG Fortran] MPI_SIZEOF: redux

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu Jun 5 21:47:33 CDT 2014

SHORT VERSION: Given the Fortran intrinsic storage_size(), should we deprecate MPI_SIZEOF?

MORE DETAIL:

MPI_SIZEOF has been around since MPI-2.0 (i.e., 1996).  I don't know how long storage_size() has been around in Fortran, but I can see that it's not in the default gfortran that is in RHEL6 (v4.4.7) -- it looks like it appeared in the gfortran v4.6 series.

Is it time to deprecate MPI_SIZEOF?  We don't have to delete it any time soon, but we can indicate to Fortran MPI developers that they should be using storage_size().

jsquyres at cisco.com