[MPIWG Fortran] Draft chapter for discussion today

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Feb 3 17:10:03 CST 2014

On Feb 3, 2014, at 4:02 AM, Rolf Rabenseifner <rabenseifner at hlrs.de> wrote:

>> If Chapter 15 is to be renamed, I would agree that 17.1.4 should
>> move.  But I'm not sure this is a good idea.
>
> We used already in MPI-2.2 the "Chapter 15. Deprecated Functions"
> in the general way "Deprecated Interfaces" when we added
> the total C++ bindings to this chapter, i.e. all C++ constants,
> functions, ,... .

This is a good point.

> To make the life easy, we should rename Chapter 15 into
> "Chapter 15. Deprecated Interfaces". This would be consistent to
> "Chapter 16. Removed Interfaces".
> The normal text (i.e., text outside of Chap. 15+16) should
> include as few deprecated features as possible.

I see in MPI-2.2 chapter 15 a very brief blurb about how the C++ bindings are deprecated.  We then also put "deprecated" next to every binding throughout the text (and a few other select places, IIRC).

So for mpif.h/MPI-4, I propose a compromise:

1. Rename chapter 15 as you suggest.

2. Put a brief blurb in 15 saying that mpif.h is deprecated, similar to what we did for C++ in MPI-2.2.  I.e., do not move 17.1.4 or other giant blocks of text to chapter 15.

jsquyres at cisco.com