[MPIWG Fortran] Agenda for meeting today (in ~10 mins)

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Dec 5 11:10:23 CST 2014

Here's my notes from today.

Short version
=============

1. Jeff will commit MPI3 Fortran errata
2. Find someone to try converting mpif.h->use mpi
3. Let's make an MPI_SIZEOF deprecation ticket
4. #440 seems like ticket 0; let's discuss next Tuesday night
5. #443 seems like an unnecessary cross reference; next Tue night
6. #446 seems like ticket 0; next Tue night
7. #456 will be discussed in the RMA WG meeting next Tue

Details
=======

See 2014-12-08-mpi-forum/notes.txt.

Topics for today:

1. If no further reviews of the MPI-3 Fortran errata, I'll just commit:

   http://lists.mpi-forum.org/mpiwg-fortran/2014/05/1495.php

2. Deprecate mpif.h (and not mpi module)

   https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/408

Bill: in favor of deprecating mpif.h

JeffH: get a user who makes the change -- i.e., convert a large/legacy
change and get a case study.  It should (mostly) "just work".  If it
doesn't, then this proposal is problematic.

Bill: don't forget that it's a 1-line change and a move (i.e., move it
up before the includes, etc.).

Action item: get a user to do this (LANL?).

JeffH: Idea: Write a blog post / mini-tutorial about this.  Steal the
PSA from JeffSq OMPI SC2014 BOF slides.
JeffH: Can this be script-ized?
JeffSq: would be great if someone had the cycles for it.

Action item: put up a blog post about this.

3. Deprecate MPI_SIZEOF

   (there is no current proposal/ticket about this)
   For MPI-4
   Thread on mailing list back in June -- use storage_size() instead
   storage_size is F2008

JeffSq: is storage_size() the right intrinsic?
Bill: returns size, in bits, of one element of a given object (e.g.,
integer)
Bill: implementation of storage_size() is pretty trivial
JeffH: there's also c_sizeof() (Bill says this is F03)
Bill: c_sizeof() uses C rules -- e.g., you get size of total array,
etc. (returns answer in bytes, not bits).

Hubert: their MPI has had MPI_SIZEOF in mpif.h for a long time

JeffH: intent for MPI_SIZEOF is for datatypes and RMA -- disp_unit,
etc.  For the RMA use case, storage_size() and c_sizeof() are both
fine -- c_sizeof() is a little nicer (for JeffH).

Action item: Jeff should make a ticket about it.

4. Fortran cross-reference correction (ticket 0 / errata)

   https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/440

We generally agree -- this is ticket 0, not worth voting, and JeffSq's
change in comment 4 is agreeable.

5. Fortran MPI_BOTTOM not for initialization or assignment (ticket 0 / errata)

   https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/443

No one cares.

JeffSq thinks it's an unnecessary cross reference.

6. Fortran cross-reference update (ticket-0/errata)

   https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/446

We all agree -- it's ticket 0, and SHORT is good.

7. MPI 3.0 Errata: MPI RMA synchronization for MPI shared memory
   (note that this is not currently on the Forum agenda)

   https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/456

JeffSq: can (sorta) see both sides of the issue.

JeffH: C11/C++11 both have defined memory model and primitives for
interacting with it (C99's model wasn't sufficiently defined).  But
Fortran hasn't done this yet -- there's no explicit memory model;
that's why this is a Fortran issue.  Also, we have MPI_WIN_SYNC
synctactic sugar for a memory barrier... but this may not always be
true.  So what exactly can the Fortran WG do?

JeffH: MPI3 has basically introduced POSIX/SYSV shared memory
wrapper.  Not quite the same thing as openMP.  Question to Bill: is it
possible for F compilers to scramble the buffer during an ongoing
async operation?

Bill: typically, we make copies.  "Shared memory" in Fortran parlance
usually refers to OpenMP kinds of memory (i.e., within a single
process).

JeffH: parallels between coarrays and UPC -- MPI doesn't really define
what happens here (even though it would good for users for us to
define this interaction).  There isn't a huge number of coarray+MPI
codes yet.

Bill: well, we're starting to see people take existing coarray codes
and add some MPI to them.  So we needed to specify some rules for
these users -- <see Bill's post on the mailing list>.

Hubert: I can also image shared memory codes in Fortran that don't
necessary use coarrays, but also use MPI.  I don't quite know how I
have to implement this in my MPI library.

JeffH: Agree.  NWChem (which is Fortran) could use this.  We just
haven't thought forward enough to think about this stuff.  The issue
is the same: if you issue a non-blocking operation from within
Fortran, you can have this issue.  Probably Bill Long will say that
the only way to do this safely/correctly is to use mpi_f08.

<Rolf joins>

Rolf: "The consistency ... depends on the architecture ... unified
model ... MPI_WIN_FLUSH." (p410).  Meaning: you can use win sync functions
with the shared memory that is exposed.  In short: a "consistent view"
is not defined by MPI.

Rolf: there is an RMA plenary -- 456 should be discussed in there.

JeffH: we can go round and round here, but the face-to-face next week
will be helpful.  Need to make a key decision: what exactly is an RMA
operation.  E.g., if "RMA operation" is just an MPI RMA operation,
then there's no problem.  But the RMA WG needs to clarify this.