[MPIWG Fortran] ticket 351

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 22 12:38:52 CDT 2013

On Oct 22 2013, Jeff Hammond wrote:

>> And, lastly, MPI 3.0 already defines a way of getting this that is
>> the same in both Fortran and C - using MPI_INFO_ENV.
>
>If only that were true.

Point taken.  I think that's a ghastly specification, but I can see why
you want it.

But I still don't think that adding yet another hack on top of all of
the existing ones is going to help.  My remarks that the current mechanism
isn't reliable for C weren't theoretical, incidentally, though how many
of the implementations that caused trouble are still extant and doing so
I can't say.

Realistically, the simplest solution is to say that implementations
should take steps not to pollute the programmer's argument list, which
would force those without mpiexec equivalents to use environment variables
or equivalent.  I don't think that would fly because of opposition, but
it's the only simple one I can see that would actually clean up the
current specification.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.