[MPIWG Fortran] ticket 351

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Tue Oct 22 09:52:56 CDT 2013

Hi Jeff, (copying the Fortran gang)

Two comments on this ticket:

1) The BIND(C) should be removed from the Fortran interfaces.  This was
done for the other Fortran interface routines.

2) I don't really see the point of this at all.  The user can just call
the native Fortran intrinsics directly.  Why should there be a duplicate
version that starts with MPI_ ?  I would suggest, instead, that you just
add a note in the spec (advice to users) point out that Fortran
programmers can access the command line arguments using the language
intrinsics.   Maybe someone can convince me this is not adequate, but
I've been using those intrinsics with parallel programs for some time
and they work just fine.

Bill Long                                           longb at cray.com