[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0: Fortran 2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

Hubert Ritzdorf Hubert.Ritzdorf at EMEA.NEC.COM
Mon Mar 25 15:28:34 CDT 2013

I vote for Option 2.

Option 3 is not possible for an errata. This is a severe change in the standard.
Your modification of Option 3 makes the standard more difficult (we have again mixing of
BIND(C) and non BIND(C) functions) and I can't see a real application advantage.

To your items:
Item 2: You have to perform also additional work in the wrappers
             (for example memory allocation and transformation for sources
              compiled with -i8; additional error checks)
Item 3: Support of PMPI version of Fortran is not really an issue.
Item 4b: The tools have to support routines compiled with mpi.h and old
                objects.

Hubert

From: Bill Long [longb at cray.com]
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 7:35 PM
To: Craig Rasmussen
Cc: Rolf Rabenseifner; MPI-3 Fortran working group; Jeff Squyres (jsquyres); Hubert Ritzdorf; Martin Schulz; Tobias Burnus
Subject: Re: [MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0: Fortran     2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

On 3/25/13 12:50 PM, Craig Rasmussen wrote:
> My summary of the three options:
>
> 1. Absolute minimal change, remove BIND(C) only for routines with
> LOGICAL arguments.  Tools will need to support underscore name mangling
> forever (even when TS29113 is implemented by compilers) but only on
> routines with LOGICAL arguments.
>
> 2. Remove BIND(C) from all routines.  Tools will need to support
> underscore name mangling for all routines.
>
> 3. Remove BIND(C) from all routines.  Plus allow Fortran implementations
> to substitute the C PMPI interface standard.
>
> Is this a fair summary?
>
> My vote:
>
> I'm strongly in favor of option 3.  It is the only option that allows
> the possibility of underscore name mangling disappearing in the future.
>   I think most (if not all) MPI Fortran implementations will eventually
> evolve to thin wrappers calling the C API.  There are several advantages
> with this implementation:
>      1. The thin wrappers can be put in a module.
>      2. Compilers may be able to inline the wrappers for very efficient
> implementations.
>      3. Fortran implementations are much simpler because they won't have
> to directly support PMPI in Fortran.
>      4. Since the Fortran implementation is substantially less complex,
> the costs associated with testing, supporting, and maintaining a Fortran
> implementation will also be reduced.
>      4. If all MPI implementations eventually choose to call the C API,
> then the tools community eventually will not have to support underscore
> name mangling, thus reducing their costs as well.

I like option 3 as well.  It uses the C interoperability feature in
Fortran the way it was intended/designed.   I would add to the above:

6. You can isolate the issues of Fortran types (compiled with -i8,
meaning of LOGICAL, character arguments with len > 1) into the Fortran
wrappers so that the C library writers do not have to know about these
issues.   Simplifies the maintenance and testing issues for the C
library code.

I would modify option 3 slightly. The implementer might want to write
some routine ONLY in Fortran.  The routines that convert the status
formats between the Fortran and the C forms comes to mind.  In that
case, BIND(C) would be required, and it would specify the C binding name
as the external linker name. This would be needed so that C codes could
call the routine.

Bill Long                                           longb at cray.com

 Click https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/PSMHhYrWn2nGX2PQPOmvUmmLQnadxIEhPqNHPbHRv8fTzNoj9ICXcB470Jlue7Tvj5KdIm2MzNwfmF8UmgH1OQ==  to report this email as spam.