[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0:Fortran 2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

Schulz, Martin schulzm at llnl.gov
Sun Mar 17 02:08:46 CDT 2013

Hi Craig, all,

On Mar 15, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Craig Rasmussen <rasmus at cas.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2013, at 10:18 PM, Schulz, Martin wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to catch up with the various threads on this (sorry, last week was hectic and I didn't get to all emails). I have to admit that I am still confused why there is a problem, but we can clarify this during a phone call or during the march meeting. However, doesn't not doing BINDC create a problem, since I now have to again deal with the no/one/two underscore issue? This sounds like a bad interface design to me, especially when we starting mixing  things.
>
> Yes, I believe that removing BIND(C) entirely makes it virtually impossible for the tools community.  Not only is there the underscore issue but some implementors want to put the code in modules which makes name mangling MUCH worse.

I think we can deal with the underscore issue, but I didn't realize that there as an additional name mangling through the modules - this will really cause problems.

> I think the best solution is to add on to Rolf's proposal for problem A.  The addition is that there must also be a BIND(C) interface for the tools community that replaces default LOGICAL with INTEGER(C_INT).
>
> The overloaded version (INTEGER(C_INT)) will be called by implementor so that it can be intercepted by PMPI users.
>
> Martin, do you see a problem with this?  It adds an additional wrapper call, one that you don't see.  If you like we could have a phone conversation today between you and I.  Then perhaps a group conference call the week of March 25.

Sorry, didn't see this until today. This does make sense, though, and I think this could work from the tools perspective, although I have to admit I don't know enough to judge the impacts for the Fortran implementations.

A group conversation next week on this would be good, although it would have to be Monday for me to make it. The following week would be easier.

Thanks,

Martin

Martin Schulz, schulzm at llnl.gov, http://people.llnl.gov/schulzm
CASC @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, USA