[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0:Fortran 2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 15 13:45:24 CDT 2013

On Mar 15 2013, Hubert Ritzdorf wrote:

>I'm still developing MPI and I'm also implementing the mpi_f08 module.
>My concern in connection with BIND(C) are the routines which use
>character strings (for example MPI_Error_string())..
>My Intel compiler aborts the compilation for these functions with
>
>A character dummy argument with length other than 1 is not interoperable

Ugh.  That needs looking into.  They can be mapped to lengths of 1
using sequence association, of course.

> What's about future developments in C and Fortran ? May they generate new
> problems for BIND(C) or less problems (i.e. is there a coordinated
> standardization effort between Fortran and C in order to reduce the
> interoperability problems) ?

< Comments omitted because unsuitable for posting to a public mailing
list. >

They have already generated massive new problems for interoperability,
not merely between Fortran and C, but between C++ and C.  I have just
spent 8-10 hours beating my head against one of the latter.  The
situation is likely to get worse, and is nothing to do with changes to
Fortran.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.