[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0:Fortran 2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 11 03:30:28 CDT 2013

On Mar 11 2013, Schulz, Martin wrote:

> I am trying to catch up with the various threads on this (sorry, last
> week was hectic and I didn't get to all emails). I have to admit that I
> am still confused why there is a problem, but we can clarify this during
> a phone call or during the march meeting. However, doesn't not doing
> BINDC create a problem, since I now have to again deal with the
> no/one/two underscore issue? This sounds like a bad interface design to
> me, especially when we starting mixing things.

You are speaking as an implementor, right?  The user does not have to
worry about that, with or without BIND(C).  There are actually much
nastier implementation problems with mixing Fortran and C, in general,
so I don't see that it's a big deal.

The exception is if you use a user-defined reduction operator into
a mixture of Fortran and C, when getting it to work at all is such an
evil issue that you need all the help you can get!  Actually, that's
just a variation of the heterogeneous node problem, which is somewhat
swept under the carpet by MPI and affects very, very few users.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.