[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0: Fortran 2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

Craig Rasmussen rasmus at cas.uoregon.edu
Mon Mar 4 18:57:03 CST 2013

I talked with Bill briefly on the phone and he suggested something close to what we already do, namely use overloading to get around the problem (see Bill's earlier comment on two levels of wrappers).

We could switch to LOGICAL(C_BOOL) dummy arguments in all procedures with BIND(C) interfaces.  Then in addition we could overload these functions (like MPI_Test) with thin wrappers that are required to call the regular BIND(C) version so that the tools folks are happy.  Regular users would never know the difference.  I suppose we could actually use INTEGER(C_INT) in these interfaces rather than LOGICAL(C_BOOL) as there is less chance of confusion and INTEGER(C_INT) and LOGICAL can always different.  Whereas LOGICAL(C_BOOL) and LOGICAL may be the same type.

Bill also suggested that replacing LOGICAL dummy arguments with INTEGER(C_INT) in the callback routines would a safer way to go.

Craig Rasmussen
CAS Scientific Programmer
rasmus at cas.uoregon.edu