[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0: Fortran 2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 26 18:34:26 CST 2013

On Feb 27 2013, Bill Long wrote:

>If you want a name,  how about  MPI_LOGICAL_KIND?  We already have
>MPI_INTEGER_KIND for integers.  Since this is peculiar to the MPI
>environment, I'm not keen on adding something to Fortran.

Not quite.  While very few interfaces both use LOGICAL arguments and
attempt to maintain Fortran and C consistency, it is applicable to
any that do.  It would also allow (for example) the C library function
isalnum() to be called from Fortran.  Whether that sort of use is
important enough to be worth making a change to Fortran is another
matter entirely!

regards,
Nick Maclaren.