[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0: Fortran 2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

Craig Rasmussen rasmus at cas.uoregon.edu
Tue Feb 26 17:10:21 CST 2013

For some reason Jeff deleted me from this email list :-)   (or perhaps I removed myself one day when the mood moved me)  so I haven't seen this thread until today.

Basically I agree with Tobias that there is a problem (from a standards perspective) and with Nick that MPI-3 made the right choice with default logical (following past standards as to not break existing code).  I also agree with Nick that an implementation of the MPI-3 standard can finesse the issue a bit.

I don't know what Bill will think of this but I think the problem should be resolved in the Fortran standard in the end so that

      LOGICAL(C_INT)

is a legal type.  This would allow mapping Fortran logical variables to C integers which is the type most C programmers use for logical variables anyway.

Does anyone know what size a default logical is in existing compilers?  I assume it is the same size as a default integer.

Craig Rasmussen
CAS Scientific Programmer
rasmus at cas.uoregon.edu