[MPIWG Fortran] MPI-3 ticket 349: Fortran question

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Dec 11 11:27:45 CST 2013

This ticket got a formal reading today at the Forum:

    http://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/349
    (as of this writing, there's still a BIND(C) in there, but it will be removed shortly)

The function is basically intended to perform a mathematical operation.  As such, I think that the 2 Fortran bindings should be FUNCTIONs, not SUBROUTINEs (a la MPI_WTICK/MPI_WTIME).

Do you agree?  If so, the ticket author (Jim Dinan) is amenable to changing the Fortran bindings to the following (and I'm assuming I have the syntax below correct, but feel free to correct me if they're wrong):

-----
INTEGER(KIND=MPI_ADDRESS_KIND) MPI_Aint_add(base, disp)
    INTEGER(KIND=MPI_ADDRESS_KIND), INTENT(IN) ::  base, disp

INTEGER(KIND=MPI_ADDRESS_KIND) MPI_AINT_ADD(BASE, DISP)
    INTEGER(KIND=MPI_ADDRESS_KIND) BASE, DISP
-----

jsquyres at cisco.com