[MPI3 Fortran] New Fortran proposal w.r.t. BIND(C)/logical/etc.

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Apr 24 08:26:44 CDT 2013

On Apr 23, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Craig Rasmussen <rasmus at cas.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Are you talking about MPI_Status_f2c (or others like MPI_Comm_c2f)?  I don't know if these functions have the same requirements regarding PMPI.  Someone else should comment.

Yes, they have the same PMPI requirements as all other MPI functions.  The only 2 MPI functions that are specifically excluded from PMPI requirements are MPI_Wtick and MPI_Wtime.

>> No, you do not want this BIND(C). You get the problems with LOGICAL back again. (Not for this particular routine, but for others.)  Just name the subroutine MPI_Recv in the module and get rid of the interface block. This is a thin wrapper and the Fortran name (mangled or otherwise) will likely not even show up in the executable.  The actual call will to the C library routine, and that one is the only one the tools people see.
>
> But the Fortran name mangling and the potential lack of the symbol appearing altogether is the crux of the problem we are trying to solve.  I have no problem with what you want to do, I just think we have to wait until MPI-4 to try and do it.

+1.

(and at the same time, fix the profiling scheme to be something "better" that avoids this whole mess in the first place, IMHO)

jsquyres at cisco.com