[MPI3 Fortran] New Fortran proposal w.r.t. BIND(C)/logical/etc.

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Apr 23 11:12:23 CDT 2013

On Apr 22, 2013, at 4:03 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquyres at cisco.com> wrote:

> Craig and I would like to propose a different MPI-3 errata solution for the current MPI Fortran existential crisis (keep in mind: there may be a different solution for MPI-4).
>
> If the group likes these idea, we will draw up an actual proposal.  Here are the main points:
>
> 1. Remove BIND(C) from all prototypes in the spec.  Have a short Advice to Implementers saying that using BIND(C) is not prohibited.  If used, the effects of BIND(C) must *not* be visible to either the MPI application or PMPI-based tools (e.g., the linker symbol must be the same as if BIND(C) was not specified).

I talked to Rolf on the phone for a long time this morning.

Among the many topics we discussed, he convinced me that the last 2 sentences from point #1 of our proposal aree incorrect -- it is not possible to make the effects of BIND(C) invisible.  Hence, we drop this from our proposal, and make point #1 be:

1. Remove BIND(C) from all prototypes in the spec.

jsquyres at cisco.com