[MPI3 Fortran] Fwd: Serious problem/bug in MPI libraries with the alignment of MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION

Rasmussen, Craig E rasmussn at lanl.gov
Wed Sep 28 11:02:51 CDT 2011

Rolf,

You know my position but I will restate it for everyone.  I don't mind conversion routines that help out an old user base but I strongly feel that the use of sequence types should be discouraged.  They belong in "we should strongly discourage the usage of category" along with common blocks.  For example, I just got home and did some checking with my Intel compiler and get warnings like:

mpi_alignment.f90(17): warning #6380: The structure length is not a multiple of its largest element; could create misalignments for arrays of this type.   [SEQ_D_R]
  type :: seq_d_r

When use sequence the programmer tells the compiler that she knows better than the compiler how to lay out types.  This kind of hack has no place in a standard.  By standardizing on BIND(C) derived types we tell the Fortran compiler to use the same layout of the C compiler and so we get maximal interoperability reduce the potential for problems.

Regards,
Craig