[MPI3 Fortran] Nonblocking MPI and Fortran temporary memory modifications

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Tue Mar 29 08:34:50 CDT 2011

Hi all,

this is an excellent basis for the necessary review (deadline March 31, 2011!) of
TR 29113 (Version N1845)
ftp://ftp.nag.co.uk/sc22wg5/N1801-N1850/N1845.pdf
from
http://www.nag.co.uk/sc22wg5/

I put Brain Smith from IBM also on the CC list.

The cited papers can be found at
http://www.j3-fortran.org/doc/year/09/09-235r2.txt
and
http://www.j3-fortran.org/doc/year/09/09-231.txt

Goal of this "extend ASYNCHRONOUS"

      SV: extend ASYNCHRONOUS - invent new attribute - undefined: 8-2-3

is that the following code is a correct code
and allows that the MPI library internally used DMA, the NIC,
or other methods to communicate parts of the array while
the user application works on another part of the same array:

USE mpi_f08
REAL, ASYNCHRONOUS :: buf(100,100)
CALL MPI_Irecv(buf(1,1:100),...req,...)
DO j=1,100
  DO i=2,100
  buf(i,j)=....
  END DO
END DO
CALL MPI_Wait(req,...)

It is important that the compiler is not allowed to translate this
program (by using temporary memory modifications) into

USE mpi_f08
REAL, ASYNCHRONOUS :: buf(100,100), buf_1dim(10000)
EQUIVALENCE (buf(1,1), buf_1dim(1))
CALL MPI_Irecv(buf(1,1:100),...req,...)
tmp(1:100)=buf(1,1:100)
DO j=1,10000
buf_1dim(j)=...
END DO
buf(1,1:100)=tmp(1:100)
CALL MPI_Wait(req,...)

While the MPI library receives buf(1,1:100),
the numerical part overwrites this part of the array
as part of a numerical optimization to achieve one long
loop instead of a 2-loop-nesting.

The current status of Fortran 2008 + TR 29113 (Version N1845)
is that a compiler can ignore the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute,
for example, because it does not implement Fortran asynchronous
I/O in an asynchronous way, i.e., there is no need
for the compiler to make any restrictions on optimization.

The goal of the vote

     SV: extend ASYNCHRONOUS - invent new attribute - undefined: 8-2-3

was, to extend the meaning of the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute
that it can be used together with MPI or other asynchronous
software.

As one can see in
https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/attachment/ticket/229/mpi-report-F2008-2011-03-26-changeonly-majorpages.pdf
Page 25 lines 5-14 in the pdf (page 550 in the original document),
the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute is the only one that can solve the problem.

The word "SOLVED" is already based on the "extend ASYNCHRONOUS",
(i.e., the extended meaning of the Fortran ASYNCHRONOUS attribute)
and can be used for the whole row.

With the current state of the TR 29113, the whole line is
"NOT solved".

VOLATILE is not an option, because it would eliminate
any numerical optimization on any code that is used
in overlapping communication and computation.

Final implication:
To solve this problem is absolute necessary for any
Fortran implementation of the MPI library.

Additionally to the implementation of the "extend ASYNCHRONOUS"
in the TR 29113 of Fortran 2008, we plan to write into the MPI-3.0
standard a sentence like this:

"A valid implementation of the MPI-3.0 standard requires that
the Fortran compiler in use has to guarantee that the
ASYNCHRONOUS attribute guarantees that any MPI nonblocking
operation can be used on data that is marked as ASYNCHRONOUS.
Other parts of the same data can be used in overlapping computation
as long as the application uses the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute
also in this part of the application software."

Best regards
Rolf