[MPI3 Fortran] Nonblocking MPI and Fortran temporary memory modifications

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Sun Mar 27 04:34:15 CDT 2011

Dear all,

Reinhold showed me that the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute may not help
because a compiler may implement asynchronous Fortran I/O
with blocking I/O and therefore may ignore all ASYNCHRONOUS
attributes.

Please have a look at
https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/attachment/ticket/229/mpi-report-F2008-2011-03-26-changeonly-majorpages.pdf

Pages 24-31 in the pdf (pages 549-556 in the original document)
show our knowledge about the nonblocking and datatype (MPI_BOTTOM) problems
in the combination of Fortran and MPI.

Unfortunately in the taböle on page 550, we have to modify all entries
about ASYNCHRONOUS into "NOT solved".

Do you see further solutions?

Do you see further problems with nonblocking and "MPI_BOTTOM",
that are not mentioned in this section and that should be.

Is the rest of this section correct?
If something is incorrect, it would be important to understand why.

I've reworked this section based on many discussions and on my best
knowledge - but I'm not sure whether this was enough.

Best regards
Rolf

Dr. Rolf Rabenseifner . . . . . . . . . .. email rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Nobelstr. 19, D-70550 Stuttgart, Germany . (Office: Allmandring 30)