[MPI3 Fortran] MPI function symbol naming convention for tools

Lionel, Steve steve.lionel at intel.com
Mon Jun 20 14:47:49 CDT 2011

Craig Rasmussen wrote:

> They really are two separate (but related) issues.  We were talking about the function labels.  But they just inherit the "_f08" name for name mangling from the "mpi_f08" module name.  Thus the linkage to the module name.

So in the future there might be, say, an MPI_F13 module with _f08 procedure names?  Remember that module name changes are easy to deal with - just supply a module with the old name that USEs the new one - but changing routine names is painful for programmers.  I don't think the procedure names should be tied in this fashion.  I won't argue the module name (even though I don't like it), but I will argue the procedure names.

As Bill correctly points out, these procedures are distinguished by a feature provided by Fortran 90.  I know programmers will be confused into thinking that Fortran 2008 is required.

Steve