[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi3-tools] Comments/Questions on Fortran 08 Bindings

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Sat Jul 2 15:19:11 CDT 2011

See below. I answered only those which weren't alread answered.

Sent from my phone. No type good.

On Jul 1, 2011, at 3:14 AM, "Marc-Andre Hermanns" <m.a.hermanns at grs-sim.de> wrote:

> Dear Martin,
>
> I gathered some feedback from some of the Scalasca team members on the
> proposed changes to profiling with the Fortran 08 interface.
>
> The Scalasca measurement adapter currently creates the Fortran wrappers
> for each of the four name-mangling schemes automatically (CPP macros),
> as the wrapper is the same, just the symbol name is different. Another
> name-mangling scheme for the same wrapper would probably not hurt very much.
>
> However, some questions arose in the discussions that I have to admit
> might stem from our limited knowledge of Fortran and Fortran 08 in
> particular.
>
> 1) Are the Fortran handle types compatible/interchangeable with the C
> handle types, or will c2f/f2c still have to be called?

You will still need to call c2f/f2c. MPI f08 handles != MPI mpif or use MPI handles, and != C handles.

> 2) Just as John Mellor-Crummey commented: are there standardized
> routines to handle the array descriptors in C and C++ which are the
> primary languages to implement a measurement layer? If not, how to deal
> with it? Can it be interpreted as a void*? How to compare against
> MPI_BOTTOM?
>
> 3) If the Fortran 08-C/C++ interface for the descriptors is not
> available. Does it mean I have to implement the wrappers in Fortran?

No.

> Didn't we just agree that MPI_T does not need Fortran bindings? In this
> case it would need them again, right?

No.

> 4) How is the support for '_f' for just the MPI functions to be done in
> the Fortran compiler? Won't it be mangled to '_f_' or '_f__' again? What
> are the actual benefits of this '_f'?

There will only be one symbol tools need to worry about: _f. If compilers mangle it further, tools won't know or care.