[MPI3 Fortran] [Interop-tr] [Mpi-forum] Comment on Fortran WG5 ballot N1846

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Thu Apr 14 08:01:57 CDT 2011

[I expect that the mail is not delivered by interop-tr at j3-fortran.org
 because I'm not a member of J3]

After all the discussion, it really looks best to
ignore the existence of the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute
when looking at the co-existence of Fortran nonblocking
and MPI.

Based on the discussion, I plan to add the following text
into the draft for MPI-3.0 and based on Option 1 in a
previous email:

------------------
[Text about an application with parts of an array
involved in a nonblocking MPI operation and other
parts involved in computation, and a compiler optimization
with temporarily copying variables into a local memory
and afterward back to the original memory]

Note that this type of compiler optimization can
not be prevented when buf is declared with the
ASYNCHRONOUS Fortran attribute, and it should not
be prevented by declaring buf as VOLATILE because:
 - A Fortran asynchronous input/output operation on a part
   of an array variable implies that the access to the whole
   array (the so-called pending I/O storage sequence affector,
   see Section 9.6.2.5 in [Fortran 2008]) is restricted
   as if the whole array is involved in the pending I/O
   (see Section 9.6.4.1, paragraphs 5 and 6 in [Fortran 2008]).
   Therefore, the ASYNCHRONOUS cannot be used if parts of the
   array is involved in a asynchronous operation and other
   parts are used for computation.
 - In principle, the Fortran standard restricts the scope
   of the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute only to Fortran asynchronous
   input and output operations.
 - A Fortran compiler may implement the Fortran asynchronous
   input/output operations as blocking I/O. In this case,
   the compiler can fully ignore the ASYNCHRONOUS attribute.
 - The VOLATILE implies that all accesses to any storage unit (word)
   of buf must be directly done in the main memory exactly in
   the sequence defined by the application program. The attribute
   VOLATILE prevents every register or cache optimization.
 - Therefore, VOLATILE may cause a huge performance degradation.

Instead of solving the problem, it is better to prevent the problem,
i.e., when overlapping communication and computation, the communication
(or nonblocking IO) and the computation should be executed on different
sets of variables. In this case, the temporary memory modifications
are done only on the variables used in the computation and cannot
have any side effect on the data used in the nonblocking MPI operations.

The first three items in the list suggest that it is a bad idea
to enlarge the scope of ASYNCHRONOUS to nonblocking MPI.

Best regards
Rolf