[MPI3 Fortran] MPI 3 text is ready

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Wed Sep 22 16:58:15 CDT 2010

Nick and Craig,

I attached the result-slides of our discussion at the MPI Forum meeting in
Stuttgart.

The tickets https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/229
through 253 reflect these decisions only partially.
I have to correct these tickets. This will need more time.

The major ticket
https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/234 (F)
is already mainly correct.

As far as we know, Fortran will directly pass the reference of a
standardised "dope-vector" that describes the buffer.
The currently in this ticket mentioned CFI_update_cdesc() is not needed.

We expect:
The "dope-vector" has enough information that the MPI wrappers can make
a contiguous copy of the possibly non-contiguous buffer (if the actual argument
is a multi-dimensional triplet-subsript).
This buffer is produced and under control of MPI. Call by reference is performed
by the compiler.

We expect:
In the case of a vector-subscript (in some dimension, i.e. Fortran rank),
the Fortran compiler will generate code that copies the
non-contiguous buffer into a contiguous scratch
buffer and the dope-vector describes this contiguous scratch buffer.
This buffer is under control of the Fortran runtime.
Call by in-copy and out-copy is performed.

Nick and Craig, are these asumptions fully correct?

Best regard
Rolf