[MPI3 Fortran] Results of recent J3 Fortran meeting

Rasmussen, Craig E rasmussn at lanl.gov
Wed Oct 20 18:18:28 CDT 2010

I thought I'd try and catch everyone up on the results of the J3 Fortran meeting last week.  In particular on Bader's and Rabenseifner's paper.  Essentially the paper requested that assumed size actuals (dimension(*)) could be used in a call to assumed rank (dimension(..)) dummy arguments and that assumed size character strings (character(*)) be interoperable with C.  This will help with the MPI-3 Fortran bindings.

The short answer is that a revised version of the paper passed (see attachments).  The longer answer is that there was disagreements on how assumed size characters should be implemented.  I've also attached a file with two C functions showing the two choices.  Hopefully these example are mostly correct, I haven't had a chance to test them yet.

-craig