[MPI3 Fortran] MPI-2 Fortran question: 2D char array in MPI_COMM_SPAWN_MULTIPLE

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue May 25 15:41:24 CDT 2010

On May 25, 2010, at 4:23 PM, Rolf Rabenseifner wrote:

> MPI-2.2, p310:18-25 defines:
>
> "The argv argument argv is an array of strings containing arguments that are passed to
> the program. The first element of argv is the first argument passed to command, not, as
> is conventional in some contexts, the command itself. The argument list is terminated by
> NULL in C and C++ and an empty string in Fortran.

I mis-read this last line when I read it -- now I understand what Rolf is saying (and, in fact, it's exactly what someone said earlier that the spec would need to be right).

Thanks Rolf!

> The code fragment below is wrong because it does
> try to detect an overall second_dim_size instead of individual
> second_dim_size(i) for i=1,count.

Also a good point -- in OMPI, we assume that all the argv arrays will have the same number of tokens for each command.  But this is not necessarily the case.  I'll fix.

Thanks!

jsquyres at cisco.com
For corporate legal information go to: