[MPI3 Fortran] Results of San Jose Forum meeting

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Thu Mar 11 08:05:45 CST 2010

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2010, at 5:28 AM, N.M. Maclaren wrote:
>
>>>    - Make the explicit interfaces in "use mpi" be *required* by MPI
>>>      implementations (they are optional right now).  This is now
>>>      possible because of the (void*)-like behavior that is available
>>>      in all Fortran compilers.
>> Are you SURE?  I am pretty sure that many don't, and won't do for a
>> while.
>
> Rolf and Craig assured me that this was so -- so I defer to you experts.  Keep in mind that their assurance to me was predicated that compilers may have *vendor-specific* mechanisms; they may not be the standard/blessed mechanism (yet).

Yes, the "vendor-specific" part is key here.  We (vendors)  have mpi
modules and have implemented some workaround for this.  The whole point
of the type(*) and dimension(..) proposals was to specify a portable
means of accomplishing this.  Some of the other options were closer to
existing vendor extensions, but this is what won the most votes.

Bill Long                                           longb at cray.com