[MPI3 Fortran] Results of San Jose Forum meeting

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at intel.com
Thu Mar 11 05:48:46 CST 2010

Hi everybody,

Thanks. The intention to extend the mpi module looks positive to me. I still have a few points that may need further clarification:

- I'm not sure why the async problem is considered solved. As far as I understood Nick, for this to happen, the asynchronous attribute should be added to all affected buffers throughout the whole application code, at all levels. This might have performance implications. If this change is indeed necessary, can it be considered small? Please clarify.

- The change of semantics of the mpi module compared to the current one (see the last passage about the need for the mpi module to understand the descriptors now) may require a recompilation once the module is changed. Also, the need to parse the descriptors, given that they may differ in structure and memory layout from compile to compiler, may cause need extra development and backend overhead for the mpi module. Has this been considered?

- The change in the module implementation without the name change may cause extra confusion, as the customers will have to add the right mpi module (MPI-2 or MPI-3) to the right (MPI-2 or MPI-3) library. Actually, the possible presence of more than one MPI library is a major support and backend hassle. If this concern is material, can this be avoided?

- The remaining intention to deprecate the mpif.h seems counterproductive from the customer point of view. As some apps won't be allowed to use a deprecated features, we seem to drive them into "non-compliance" wrt MPI-3, hoping that they will switch to the MPI module due to this. I'm afraid many will bang on the MPI-3 instead. Has this been foreseen and calculated?

It would be great to have these points addressed going forward as I may have missed some details due not being on the floor this time.

Best regards.

Alexander