[MPI3 Fortran] Deprecate mpif.h?

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Tue Mar 9 12:45:27 CST 2010

Craig Rasmussen wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Supalov, Alexander wrote:
>

>> What is interesting to learn is what kind of representation will be
>> chosen for the array descriptors, and whether it will be more or
>> less standard across different compilers.
>
> Yes, the descriptor seen from C will be standard across compilers.
> The design is currently open but I can send you a document that will
> give you the flavor of where we are heading.

Here "standard" refers to the names of the members of a descriptor
struct that are defined in a header file that has a standard name.  The
actual memory layout of  the descriptor struct will not necessarily be
the same for all implementations (in fact will probably not be the
same). For example, an implementation is allowed to add extra hidden
members to the struct, and reorder the members for alignment purposes.
A particular pair of Fortran and companion C processors will agree on
the memory layout, though, so the struct can be passed back and forth.

Bill Long                                           longb at cray.com