[MPI3 Fortran] Deprecate mpif.h?

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at intel.com
Fri Mar 5 13:49:50 CST 2010

Thank you. I think we're getting to a more balanced approach here. I hope the Fortran deprecation will never look like the C++ deprecation in MPI-2.2. There MPI had very few users (small but positive number), so this was not a big deal. Here we have the majority of the HPC apps I guess, especially in the classical domains I mentioned in my email to Jeff.

There's still one snag, though: once we deprecate the mpif.h, how can we still extend it? I think these two decision are connected: once we deprecate, we freeze. And once we freeze, we "make" people move to MPI-3. And those being "moved" may resist it indefinitely (cf. MPI-2). What's the point in deprecation then? Negative impact on adoption at the price of correctness. May be this pans out, may be it won't.

I'd rather be for "tempting" and "luring" the inquisitive users into the bright new world by showing some particularly relevant MPI-3 features to the F77 adepts thru the extended mpif.h, letting them smell the wind of the wilderness but making all advanced features available only in the "safe" F2008 environment, as dictated by the language and standard logic.

In the meantime I talked to Nick and understand now that the non-blocking collectives in particular may not be an adequate example of such a "bait": there are simply too many issues with the buffers already in the F77 binding to aggravate them by all the issues that were identified during the discussion of the non-blocking collectives (copy in/out, code movement, etc.).

Lets abstract that out for now. Still, there are some aspects that people may like. FT? Hybrid? Fast RMA?

In the meantime, the feedback I'm getting across a wide commercial ISV range is that a backward incompatible MPI-3 will be a major issue for them. Moreover, those who include mpif.h now won't move until they see MPI-3 offering compelling value. The significance of the mpi3 backward incompatible module is thus but a part of the wider backward compatibility question. I'm looking forward to more data - and to the analysis of the questionnaire results that were collected last year.