[MPI3 Fortran] Deprecate mpif.h?

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Fri Mar 5 10:33:17 CST 2010

N.M. Maclaren wrote:

> Fine.  But, in that case, won't you also have to revalidate and
> recertify if you change to using non-blocking collectives, anyway?
>
> I should SERIOUSLY hope that you are, as adding more asynchronicity is
> one of the most common causes of introducing errors into 'working and
> tested' programs.  If any 'safety critical' project does NOT require
> that when changing from synchronous to asynchronous primitives, even in
> minor ways, the people who specify the revalidation and recertification
> requirements should be shot.

In my experience with codes like this, the tendency is to go overboard
in the other direction.  ANY change to the sources, or to the system
libraries that are linked in, causes recertification. Thus, such codes
are linked statically to avoid the side effects of OS upgrades.   I even
had one experience where a suggested change to a *comment* (which said
something that was false) in a subroutine was rejected on grounds that
the cost of recertification was too high.

Bill Long                                           longb at cray.com